Design in Cape Town is recognised as a key enabler for improving lives.
This is what we want to achieve:
- We aim to encourage and facilitate networking between different designers within and from different disciplines.
- We would like to bring designers together within Cape Town to speak as one voice.
- We advocate and create awareness about the industry outside the industry.
- We promote the use of design to solve economic, social, geographic, infrastructural and political legacy problems.
- We want to connect Cape Town design industry with rest of the world.
- We promote successful design projects as Cape Town legacy.
- We create a platform for expression within the industry towards local and national government.
- We effect change in design policy and perception of design in the public sector.
- We aim to become the authority in design in Cape Town and the first port of call for knowledge and reference to the industry.
The Cape Town Design Network grew out of the Creative CapeTown Clusters initiative, started in 2008, which provided a platform for networking between dynamic people in Cape Town’s creative industries, and stimulating innovative partnerships for economic and social development. Cape Town’s design industry is fragmented, with limited contact across disciplinary lines and, since collaboration is a strength in today’s business climate, the local industry will only grow through us openly sharing information, ideas, resources and energy.
With the World Design Capital Bid 2014 in process it becomes even more imperative that designers and innovators engage with each other with a view to making a positive contribution to transforming Cape Town into not only the Design Capital of South Africa, but the World Design Capital 2014. The aim of the Network is to draw professional designers and innovators into a loose association which could form the basis of a future structure to drive specific programmes to benefit design, the design professions, the community and the city, and to provide a unified voice for design and designers.
Currently the network provides stimulating presentations on a regular basis. How it evolves in the future will depend on the views of its participants. With a view to broadening participation in the network in order to benefit from the collective wisdom and inputs of all members of the design and innovation community. Sign up and get involved. Don’t miss out!
Contact info :
Cape Town, 8001