•  

    aMadoda braai

    “it’s da Township style in Woodstock”… …because when we celebrate at aMadoda – Woodstock comes alive.

  •  

    Cape Town City Hall & Grand Parade

    It was on the balcony of this landmark building where the late President Nelson Mandela made his famous speech when he was released from prison in 1990. It was built in 1905 amazingly out of limestone imported from England! It was also here where Queen Elizabeth II had her 21st birthday party when she was visiting Cape Town back in 1947! The City Hall, home amongst other things of the Cape Town Philharmonic orchestra, looks out over the Grand Parade which on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, is abuzz with women dressmakers buying bolts of cloth, zips, buttons and accessories of all kinds from the market stalls. Also a great place to buy bargain clothes, second-hand or locally made. The historic Grand Parade is bordered by the Castle of Good Hope, the Cape Town Public Library and Cape Town Station.  This is also a useful starting point to visit the Old Granary and the District Six Museum, in Buitekant Street. Just up the road, off Adderley Street, find one of Cape Town’s most colourful locations, the flower market in Trafalgar Place next to the old Standard Bank. Here locals and lovers are able to brighten up their day or someone else’s Read more [...]

  •  

    Church Square and Slave Monument

    Church Square is one of the three early areas of land around which the early town developed and its boundaries probably began to be defined in 1679 when the first public building, a slave lodge was built. In 1701 the Dutch Reformed Church, known as the Groote Kerk, was erected on its southern side The slave monument is a memorial site on cobbled Church Square in Cape Town. The memorial laid out on the Church Square, itself a slave site of great significance helps us to rethink the past. The memorial comprises eleven granite blocks, two are placed on a raised plinth on the South West corner of Church Square close to the Iziko Slave Lodge. A further nine are grouped in a tight grid close to the slave tree plaque. Their common “footprint” represents our common humanity, their different heights represent growth and importance we attach to the youth of South Africa.

  •  

    Iziko Slave Lodge

    The Slave Lodge is one of the oldest buildings in Cape Town. In 1998 this museum was renamed the Slave Lodge. Under the umbrella theme, ‘From human wrongs to human rights, exhibitions on the lower level of this museum explore the long history of slavery in South Africa. Through our changing, temporary exhibitions we address issues around and raise awareness of human rights.’  

  •  

    Arch for the Arch

    The City of Cape Town has honoured Anglican Archbishop Emeritus Desmond Tutu for his role in attaining freedom for South Africa. The city unveiled an arch to mark his contribution to freedom and justice and to celebrate his birthday. Framed by Cape Town’s historic Goverment Avenue, near St George’s Cathedral and Parliament, the arch is also symbolic of his dedication to humanity, as it would be shared by many over the next decades. “The Arch for the Arch, representing the 14 chapters of the constitution, should be a reminder to all about the path to attaining freedom and to uphold the values contained therein”, said Exec Mayor Patricia de Lille at the unveiling ceremony. The Arch is strategically placed at the entrance to the Company Gardens and between the Houses of Parliament and St Georges Cathedral, highlighting the significant role the Arch played in both political and spiritual arenas.

  •  

    St George’s Cathedral

    Known as the “People’s Cathedral” for its role in the resistance against apartheid, St. George’s Cathedral is the oldest cathedral in Southern Africa and the mother church of the Anglican Diocese of Cape Town. The steps of St Georges Cathedral were often the site of protests during the Apartheid era. A plaque commemorates the peaceful protest march, in contrast to the confrontation that is commemorated at the next stop – The Purple Shall Govern. On 13 September 1989 a march, led by Archbishop Desmond Tutu, then Mayor Gordon Oliver and leaders from all sectors, began from this Cathedral, which united more than 30 000 citizens of Cape Town in a demonstration of their commitment to peace and justice for all. They walked to the City Hall in a common spirit of hope and determination for the future. Unveiled by the Mayor of Cape Town, Alderman Dan Plato 13 September 2009

  •  

    The Purple Shall Govern

    The Public Art Piece – The People Shall Govern, by Conrad Botes, on the corner of Burg and Church pays tribute to the many men and women that risked so much in the fight against apartheid on this important day in history. The Purple March was an anti-apartheid protest held in Cape Town on 2 September 1989, four days before South Africa’s racially segregated parliament held its elections. A police water cannon with purple dye was turned on thousands of Mass Democratic Movement supporters who poured into the city in an attempt to march on South Africa’s Parliament. White office blocks adjacent to Greenmarket Square were sprayed purple four stories high as a protester leapt onto the roof of the water cannon vehicle, seized the nozzle and attempted to turn the jet away from the crowds. One of the dyed buildings was the Cape Headquarters of the National Party. The historic Town House, a national monument (now known as a provincial heritage site), was sprayed purple and the force of the jet smashed windows in the Central Methodist Church.

  •  

    Old Town House & Greenmarket Square

    Greenmarket Square is a historical square in the centre of old Cape Town. The square was built in 1696. In the 18th century the first Burgher Watch House was built on the site in about 1716. Initially it was a plain residential structure, but in 1755 the foundation stone for a new and more ornate building was laid. This was completed in 1761. The building was restored under the guidance of architect JM Solomon, and on 8 May 1917 it became the home of the Michaelis Art Collection. Donated by Sir Max Michaelis in 1914, the Michaelis collection consists of a world-renowned selection of Netherlandish art from the seventeenth-century Golden Age. There are works by Frans Hals, Jan Steen, Jacob van Ruisdael, Anthony van Dyck and numerous others. THE OLD TOWNHOUSE IS CURRENTLY CLOSED FOR MAINTENANCE Over the years, the square has served as a slave market, a vegetable market, a parking lot and more recently, a flea market trading mainly African souvenirs, crafts and curios. Near the centre of the square is a hand operated pump used to bring clean water to the surface from an underground river that runs through the city. During the apartheid era, Greenmarket Square Read more [...]

  •  

    South African Slave Church Museum

    The South African Slave Church Museum (also known as the South African Sendinggestig Museum) was established in 1977. The theme of the museum is Christian missionaries and the impact the missionaries had on slaves and the indigenous people of South Africa. Exhibitions at the museum also carry themes about the history of the South African Gestig Congregation, the history of the museum building and Christian mission work and mission stations. The Museum is housed in the oldest indigenous mission church in the country built by local Christians. The museum building is architecturally unique as it was South Africa’s first building in the form of a basilica with an Apsis. All its windows are small scale replicas of this floor plan. It has the only surviving example of a steeply pitched lime-concrete roof – a form of construction developed at the Cape specifically for flat roofs. Its façade features Corinthian pilasters carrying a moulded Cornice and a Gable with a circular ventilator and four Urns.  

  •  

    Prestwitch Memorial

    Prestwich Place has long been a subject of class and racial conflict in the Western Cape. During the early colonial period the area was used as a burial ground that included Dutch Reformed Church burials and a large number of unmarked graves of the free slaves, blacks, washer women etc. Construction in 2003 along nearby Prestwich St unearthed many skeletons – the unmarked graves of slaves and others executed by the Dutch in the 17th and 18th centuries on what was then known as Gallows Hill. The bones were exhumed and this memorial building, with an attractive facade of Robben Island slate, was created. It includes an ossuary and excellent interpretive displays, including a replica of the remarkable 360-degree panorama of Table Bay painted by Robert Gordon in 1778). According to the brochure at the Prestwich Memorial, the centre is designed as a multi-purpose public facility that should become part of the lives of the local community. This place is envisaged to encourage individuals to interpret and express the voices of past communities to present and future communities. Visitors may enter the ossuary to pay their respects to the human remains that are still packed in boxes, similar to the Read more [...]

  • Zeitz MOCAA

    The Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA) is the first major museum of contemporary art in Africa. Over a hundred galleries are filled with thousands of magnificent and thought-provoking artworks from across the African continent. A must visit.

  • Journey’s End

    2016 Judges Best White: Journey’s End Destination Chardonnay 2014 The seeds of Journey’s End were sown in the mid-1990s when Roger Gabb established Western Wines which went on to become the largest importer of South African wines in Britain. Initially only 20 ha when purchased in 1995, it’s now grown to 120 with additional land purchases by his son, Rollo, now MD of Journey’s End. The biggest upgrade has been in the vineyards where sustainable farming methods have seen quality steadily improved. Winemaker Leon Esterhuizen and vineyard manager Lodewyk Retief agree that two things set Journey’s End apart: its location on the south-facing slopes of the Schapenberg facing False Bay with the Hottentots-Holland mountain at its rear and the cool southerly breezes which blow off the cold water, keeping pests and bugs at bay, restricting vegetative growth as well as cooling the vines during the heat of summer. Visits can include jaw-dropping displays of the power of their medieval trebuchet. The Gabbs have been known to fling barrels and even small cars with their 12m tall siege engine on Trebuchet Day held in January every year.

  • Lourensford Wine Estate

    Nestled in the fertile bowl of the Helderberg Mountains in Somerset West, Lourensford Estate, founded in 1700, combines a proud history joins with a dynamic new vision. This magnificent property is steeped in history dating back to the time of Willem Adriaan van der Stel in the 1700’s. Today however it boasts one of the most technologically advanced cellars in the Southern Hemisphere, making use of gravity flow to further enhance the wine making process. The Estate is a 4500 ha agricultural farm and emphasis is placed on the conservation of the Estate’s unique biodiversity and rich flora heritage. Attractions include a visit to the Coffee Roasting Company, Wine Tasting Centre where you can do various wine pairings, including a kiddies pairing. The Lourensford market is open on Sundays and every other Friday during season and they offer a guided hike on the first Saturday of every month. There is also a variety of boutique cheese, olives and olive oil available. You might want to try their Merlot 2015, Shiraz 2015 and Cabernet Sauvignon 2014. Open daily. Closed Easter Friday and Dec 25 Tasting Room: Mon – Sun 09h00 to 17h00 Public Holidays: 09h00 – 17h00 Wine Sales: Mon – Read more [...]

  • Earthbound Wines

    2016 Judges Overall Winner & 2016 Judges Best Red: Earthbound Cabernet Sauvignon Organic 2015 Earthbound Wines currently has no visitor facilities, but you can taste their wines within shouting distance of where the vines are planted at the Darling Wine Shop. You could be forgiven for seeing red when thinking about Earthbound. That’s because its red wines have driven its reputation for quality – and the vines are grown in (red) Tukulu soils! It’s only been known as Earthbound since it rebranded in 2013, to maximise the awareness of its not insignificant eco-credentials. Located on the 975 ha farm Papkuilsfontein, 373 of which are under vine – and 175 ha certified organic, this is one of South Africa’s most significant empowerment joint ventures, begun in 1998 between large wine corporate Distell, a group of black taverners from Gauteng and the local farmworkers. Earthbound is an accredited Fairtrade producer with farm workers benefitting substantially in the form of home ownership, community recreational facilities, skills development and tuition fee assistance for educational purposes. Wine tasting: Darling Wine Shop Mon-Fri 09h00 to 17h00, Sat 09h00 to 16h00, Sun 11h00 to 14h00

  • Jordan Wines

    2016 Best Value Winner: Jordan Chameleon Sauvignon Blanc Chardonnay 2015 Stellenbosch Kloof Rd, Stellenbosch Located at the head of the Stellenbosch Kloof, along what was once the main thoroughfare between Cape Town and the second Cape Dutch settlement of Stellenbosch, is Jordan – a wine estate that could easily lay claim to the title of one of SA’s foremost wine tourist attractions. Husband-and-wife duo Gary and Kathy Jordan have, over the course of 23 vintages since the 1990s, refined the offering at Jordan to the point where it has luxurious guest suites, two restaurants covering fine dining (Eat Out top chef laureate George Jardine is behind pots) as well as more casual bistro and bakery fare, mountain-bike trails, trout fishing (strictly catch and release) and tours of the old prospector shafts on the highest slopes of the farm. And wine, of course. The walls of the tasting room are festooned with a host of top international awards alongside local medals and certificates galore. It’s hard to miss the sign, just past the entrance gate, which prominently displays a chameleon. Chameleons abound in the indigenous bushes and shrubs around the cellar. ‘In African folklore, chameleons are believed to have magical powers,’ Read more [...]

  • Org De Rac Organic Wine Estate

    2016 Bloggers Overall Winner & 2016 Best Value Winner: Org De Rac Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 Despite its comparatively short existence, Org de Rac has made impressive strides, with nearly 60 ha under vine. Both farm and cellar are certified organic by Control Union, a global network of inspection operations and certification programmes. Org de Rac, the most northerly producer in the large and diverse Swartland wine region, is owned by Nico Bacon, a pioneer of eco-friendly viticulture in this area. The cellar offers visitors three ranges, including a well-rated all-Chardonnay bubbly, four-star Cabernet and Shiraz, with Chardonnay being the single white. They recently added a husk spirit (better known as grappa) to their range. The farm uses no chemicals on the vines, plants cover crops between the rows for additional nutrition, and employs ducks for snail patrol. Grapes are hand-harvested and sorted, and wine production – from crushing to labelling – is done on site. Visitors are welcome to walk around the farm and view the springbok and bontebok herds. Generous cheese platters and picnics are available (book 48 hours in advance). They also make organically certified olive oil, lavender and rosemary products, and stock chocolate sourced from ‘Africa’s Read more [...]

  • St John’s Street Synagogue

    This Classical Revival building, the first custom-built shul ever established in sub-Saharan Africa, opened on Rosh Hashanah, 15 September 1863, located on the east side of Van Riebeeck’s former vegetable garden.

  • The South African Jewish Museum

    The South African Jewish Museum is a visual interactive and high tech museum representing the story of the Jews of South Africa, their origins and contributions. Gift shop and Café Riteve.

  • Great Synagogue

    Oldest Jewish congregation in South Africa, established in 1841. The new Baroque style edifice (Architect: John Parker) was opened by congregation President, Hyman Liberman, Mayor of Cape Town, on 17 September 1905. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir Walter Hely-Hutchinson. Stained glass windows of Cape flowers and grapes installed 1936 and new stained glass windows in 2013. Pulpit transferred from St John’s Street Synagogue 1 .

  • Jacob Gitlin Library

    Established 1959. Extensive collection of books, magazines, journals, CDs and DVDs of Jewish interest. Jacob Gitlin was a dedicated Zionist worker and secretary to the Dorshei Zion Society for 27 years.

  • Cape Town Holocaust Centre

    The first Holocaust Centre in Africa opened in 1999. The Centre houses a permanent exhibition and conducts educational programmes for schools, educators and diverse adult groups.