1861 house, stable and a large garden extending back from St John’s Street onto Government Avenue purchased (formerly the east side of Van Read more [...]
Place Category: City Walk: Interfaith Route
Oldest Jewish congregation in South Africa, established in 1841.
The new Baroque style edifice (Architect: John Parker) was opened by congregation President, Hyman Liberman, the Mayor of Cape Town, on 13 September 1905. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir Walter Hely-Hutchinson. Stained glass windows of Cape flowers and grapes installed in 1936. A new set of stained glass windows installed in 2013. Pulpit transferred from St John’s Street Synagogue.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Also in the neighbourhood
South African Jewish Museum (St John’s Street Synagogue)
1861 house, stable and a large garden extending back from St John’s Street onto Government Avenue purchased (formerly the east side of Van Riebeeck’s vegetable garden) for £1 800. 8 September, 1862 foundation stone laid by Samuel Rodolf. Architect CE Hogg; Byzantine style. 13th September 1863, Rosh Hashanah, first purpose-built synagogue in consecrated in Sub Saharan Africa. 1885 enlarged; architect: Charles Freeman; (£ 1 200). 1904 south-western side demolished to make way for new Great Synagogue next door, which superseded the St John’s Street Synagogue in September 1905. 3 August, 1958 Synagogue became the Jewish Museum. Objects of interest: Temple front with an admixture of Egyptian motifs, mosaic floor in front of ark presented by D Isaacs in honour of his mother who died in 1867, eternal light in front of Ark donated by Lewis Alexander, synagogue president 1878 – 1879; stained glass windows representing the Ten Commandments installed for 100th birthday of Sir Moses Montefiore who had donated generously to the building (1884). 13 December, 2000 SA Jewish Museum opened by former President Nelson Mandela. Architects: Dennis Fabian, Berman and Hackner, Objects of interest: The museum traces the story of the Jews of South Africa, through memories, dreams, reality, Read more […]
St Mary’s Roman Catholic Cathedral of our Lady of the Flight into Egypt
6 September, 1841 foundation stone laid. 28 April, 1851 neo-Gothic stucco Cathedral opened by Bishop Griffith (at cost of £11 000); Architect Carl Hager. 1870 bell cast in Ireland donated by Marquis of Bute, designed to be heard by the seamen at the docks. 1891 organ from Hill & Son installed. 1904 Apsidal chapels, designed by Sir Herbert Baker. 1927 sacristy, baptistry and new bell tower added; Architect FM Glennie. 1930s wooden screen donated by Count Labia to commemorate Concordat between the Vatican and Mussolini. 1950 black Italian marble altar by Florenci Cularan installed as Second World War memorial to parishioners who died. Objects of interest: 18th century icon of Our Lady of the Flight in to Egypt; painting of the crucifixion donated by Napoleon III (inside the porch); carved oak pulpit by Tweedie; marble angel by O’Callaghan (1896); stained glass windows of the life of the Virgin Mary by Mayer & Co (1896); stations of the Cross by Maud Sumner (1962); Crown of Thorns light feature by Jan Corewiyn;
6 September, 1841 foundation stone laid. 28 April, 1851 neo-Gothic stucco Cathedral opened by Bishop Griffith (at cost of £11 000); Architect Read more [...]