First slave church in Cape Town established by first missionary society in the Cape and now a museum displaying the story of missionary work in Read more [...]
Place Category: City Walk: Interfaith Route
Oldest church building in South Africa.
1774 Martin Melck bequeathed a “wine store and warehouse” for a Lutheran congregation.
1776 first unofficial services held in the “barn”.
23 October, 1779 religious freedom granted them on condition the parson came from Hollan. Andries Lutgerus Kolver appointed.
1791 new façade designed by Anton Anreith. Above the entrance is a swan – the symbol of the Lutheran religion. Octagonal pulpit and reading desk carved by Anton Anreith – the original specifications and agreement with him preserved in the vestry. He also designed the organ loft.
1800 interior rebuilt and redecorated in Cape Gothic style through generosity of Martin Melck.
1814 organ shipped from London
1820 tower clock added
Objects of interest: Old Dutch brass alms dishes and Dutch silverware for communal services
Building on the left was the sexton’s house, that on the right was the parsonage.
Clock and belfry with view over town accessible by circular staircase in one of the buttresses