Oldest church building in South Africa. 1774 Martin Melck bequeathed a “wine store and warehouse” for a Lutheran congregation. 1776 first Read more [...]
Place Category: City Walk: Interfaith Route
First slave church in Cape Town established by first missionary society in the Cape and now a museum displaying the story of missionary work in the Cape.
1799 mission work begun here.
1804 mission church built in Baroque style.
Slaves taught literacy and Christian instruction.
Objects of interest: Walls two feet thick, unusual roof, impressive timber pulpit and imported benches.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Also in the neighbourhood
Oldest church building in South Africa. 1774 Martin Melck bequeathed a “wine store and warehouse” for a Lutheran congregation. 1776 first unofficial services held in the “barn”. 23 October, 1779 religious freedom granted them on condition the parson came from Hollan. Andries Lutgerus Kolver appointed. 1791 new façade designed by Anton Anreith. Above the entrance is a swan – the symbol of the Lutheran religion. Octagonal pulpit and reading desk carved by Anton Anreith – the original specifications and agreement with him preserved in the vestry. He also designed the organ loft. 1800 interior rebuilt and redecorated in Cape Gothic style through generosity of Martin Melck. 1814 organ shipped from London 1820 tower clock added Objects of interest: Old Dutch brass alms dishes and Dutch silverware for communal services Building on the left was the sexton’s house, that on the right was the parsonage. Clock and belfry with view over town accessible by circular staircase in one of the buttresses
St Stephen’s Church
17 November, 1800, South Africa’s first theatre, African Theatre, erected by public subscription, was opened here by Sir George Yonge. The building was designed by Louis Thibault who installed oval bull’s eye windows below the roof, replicas of those in Petit Trianon in Versailles, where he had worked for its designer before leaving France 1838 building sold and transformed, during the week, into a school for children of former slaves, and a Sunday School and place of worship for former slaves on Sundays. 1842 became a Dutch Reformed Church for “coloureds” and former slaves. The balcony and stage can still be seen
17 November, 1800, South Africa’s first theatre, African Theatre, erected by public subscription, was opened here by Sir George Yonge. The Read more [...]