9 April, 1678 first sod turned, making this the oldest church in South Africa. 28 December1700 foundation stone laid by Governor WA van der Stel. Read more [...]
Between 1679 and 1811, this windowless building was filled to the brim with slaves – many of them women. The ‘lodge’ was also used as a prison, mental asylum and unofficial brothel. It is said that in those days ‘women in the Cape were few, but slaves were plenty.’ It is now an Iziko Museum and amongst the displays is an exhibition on the story of tshwetshwe – a fabric that is synonymous with traditional black women’s fashion.
No Records Found
Sorry, no records were found. Please adjust your search criteria and try again.
Google Map Not Loaded
Sorry, unable to load Google Maps API.
Also in the neighbourhood
Dutch Reformed Church – Groote Kerk
9 April, 1678 first sod turned, making this the oldest church in South Africa. 28 December1700 foundation stone laid by Governor WA van der Stel. 6 January, 1704 first service. 1725 bell weighing more than half a ton crashed to the ground. 1726 new bell made in Amsterdam which still hangs in the Church. 1752 baptismal font made of Cape silver by Johan Hasse installed. August 1770 clock for tower ordered from Amsterdam, added in 1773, replaced in 1829. This is South Africa’s oldest public clock. 1753 organ installed. 1779 Church enlarged. 1789 pulpit carved by Anton Anreith (1775 – 1822) and Jan Jacob Graaff from wood from India (£400). The baroque heraldic lions represent the power of faith. 1800 a second bell installed. 31 January, 1841 Church consecrated after being rebuilt by Herman Schutte 1849 gas lights installed. 1896 electric lights installed. Objects of interest: Architecture a mix of Gothic, Classical and Egyptian styles; Eastern wall and tower with clock are portions of the original building; ceiling of plasterwork is one large arch unsupported by pillars; flagstones of Batavian salt stone; inscriptions in aisles commemorate six early governors buried underneath the floor; tombstones of family vaults are set into Read more […]
Mogalakwena Craft Art
This special little double storey gallery owned by Elbe Coetzee, anthropologist and author of Craft Art in South Africa opened in 2008. Elbe is the owner and founder of the Mogalakwena Craft Village in Limpopo where she works with a team of embroiderers, beaders, weavers and sculptors. The work of these artists is on display together with specialist exhibitions very often focused on the work of women. The gallery is part of the Mogalakwena Craft Art Development Foundation, which works towards economic upliftment to a variety of communities. The 2nd floor is dedicated to works created by craft artists of the foundation.
This special little double storey gallery owned by Elbe Coetzee, anthropologist and author of Craft Art in South Africa opened in 2008. Elbe is Read more [...]