In the heart of the Mother City, within the richly historical Company’s Garden, lies a restaurant built for children, families and visitors Read more [...]
Despite the male name, St George’s Cathedral, opened for service since 1934, has been a special place for women both politically as well as in a pastoral way. The Black Sash, women’s activist group in the apartheid era, used the steps of the cathedral as a place to protest the then regime. It was also a refuge for the mainly women hunger strikers protesting squatter camp evictions in 1982. These and many other stories from its past are told in a book called St. George’s Cathedral: Heritage and Witness written by two women congregants Mary Bock and Judith Gordon.