•  

    Cape Town City Hall & Grand Parade

    It was on the balcony of this landmark building where the late President Nelson Mandela made his famous speech when he was released from prison in 1990. It was built in 1905 amazingly out of limestone imported from England! It was also here where Queen Elizabeth II had her 21st birthday party when she was visiting Cape Town back in 1947! The City Hall, home amongst other things of the Cape Town Philharmonic orchestra, looks out over the Grand Parade which on Wednesday and Saturday mornings, is abuzz with women dressmakers buying bolts of cloth, zips, buttons and accessories of all kinds from the market stalls. Also a great place to buy bargain clothes, second-hand or locally made. The historic Grand Parade is bordered by the Castle of Good Hope, the Cape Town Public Library and Cape Town Station.  This is also a useful starting point to visit the Old Granary and the District Six Museum, in Buitekant Street. Just up the road, off Adderley Street, find one of Cape Town’s most colourful locations, the flower market in Trafalgar Place next to the old Standard Bank. Here locals and lovers are able to brighten up their day or someone else’s Read more [...]

  • Zeitz MOCAA

    The Zeitz Museum of Contemporary Art Africa (MOCAA) is the first major museum of contemporary art in Africa. Over a hundred galleries are filled with thousands of magnificent and thought-provoking artworks from across the African continent. A must visit.

  • Journey’s End

    2016 Judges Best White: Journey’s End Destination Chardonnay 2014 The seeds of Journey’s End were sown in the mid-1990s when Roger Gabb established Western Wines which went on to become the largest importer of South African wines in Britain. Initially only 20 ha when purchased in 1995, it’s now grown to 120 with additional land purchases by his son, Rollo, now MD of Journey’s End. The biggest upgrade has been in the vineyards where sustainable farming methods have seen quality steadily improved. Winemaker Leon Esterhuizen and vineyard manager Lodewyk Retief agree that two things set Journey’s End apart: its location on the south-facing slopes of the Schapenberg facing False Bay with the Hottentots-Holland mountain at its rear and the cool southerly breezes which blow off the cold water, keeping pests and bugs at bay, restricting vegetative growth as well as cooling the vines during the heat of summer. Visits can include jaw-dropping displays of the power of their medieval trebuchet. The Gabbs have been known to fling barrels and even small cars with their 12m tall siege engine on Trebuchet Day held in January every year.

  • Lourensford Wine Estate

    Nestled in the fertile bowl of the Helderberg Mountains in Somerset West, Lourensford Estate, founded in 1700, combines a proud history joins with a dynamic new vision. This magnificent property is steeped in history dating back to the time of Willem Adriaan van der Stel in the 1700’s. Today however it boasts one of the most technologically advanced cellars in the Southern Hemisphere, making use of gravity flow to further enhance the wine making process. The Estate is a 4500 ha agricultural farm and emphasis is placed on the conservation of the Estate’s unique biodiversity and rich flora heritage. Attractions include a visit to the Coffee Roasting Company, Wine Tasting Centre where you can do various wine pairings, including a kiddies pairing. The Lourensford market is open on Sundays and every other Friday during season and they offer a guided hike on the first Saturday of every month. There is also a variety of boutique cheese, olives and olive oil available. You might want to try their Merlot 2015, Shiraz 2015 and Cabernet Sauvignon 2014. Open daily. Closed Easter Friday and Dec 25 Tasting Room: Mon – Sun 09h00 to 17h00 Public Holidays: 09h00 – 17h00 Wine Sales: Mon – Read more [...]

  • Earthbound Wines

    2016 Judges Overall Winner & 2016 Judges Best Red: Earthbound Cabernet Sauvignon Organic 2015 Earthbound Wines currently has no visitor facilities, but you can taste their wines within shouting distance of where the vines are planted at the Darling Wine Shop. You could be forgiven for seeing red when thinking about Earthbound. That’s because its red wines have driven its reputation for quality – and the vines are grown in (red) Tukulu soils! It’s only been known as Earthbound since it rebranded in 2013, to maximise the awareness of its not insignificant eco-credentials. Located on the 975 ha farm Papkuilsfontein, 373 of which are under vine – and 175 ha certified organic, this is one of South Africa’s most significant empowerment joint ventures, begun in 1998 between large wine corporate Distell, a group of black taverners from Gauteng and the local farmworkers. Earthbound is an accredited Fairtrade producer with farm workers benefitting substantially in the form of home ownership, community recreational facilities, skills development and tuition fee assistance for educational purposes. Wine tasting: Darling Wine Shop Mon-Fri 09h00 to 17h00, Sat 09h00 to 16h00, Sun 11h00 to 14h00

  • Jordan Wines

    2016 Best Value Winner: Jordan Chameleon Sauvignon Blanc Chardonnay 2015 Stellenbosch Kloof Rd, Stellenbosch Located at the head of the Stellenbosch Kloof, along what was once the main thoroughfare between Cape Town and the second Cape Dutch settlement of Stellenbosch, is Jordan – a wine estate that could easily lay claim to the title of one of SA’s foremost wine tourist attractions. Husband-and-wife duo Gary and Kathy Jordan have, over the course of 23 vintages since the 1990s, refined the offering at Jordan to the point where it has luxurious guest suites, two restaurants covering fine dining (Eat Out top chef laureate George Jardine is behind pots) as well as more casual bistro and bakery fare, mountain-bike trails, trout fishing (strictly catch and release) and tours of the old prospector shafts on the highest slopes of the farm. And wine, of course. The walls of the tasting room are festooned with a host of top international awards alongside local medals and certificates galore. It’s hard to miss the sign, just past the entrance gate, which prominently displays a chameleon. Chameleons abound in the indigenous bushes and shrubs around the cellar. ‘In African folklore, chameleons are believed to have magical powers,’ Read more [...]

  • Org De Rac Organic Wine Estate

    2016 Bloggers Overall Winner & 2016 Best Value Winner: Org De Rac Reserve Cabernet Sauvignon 2013 Despite its comparatively short existence, Org de Rac has made impressive strides, with nearly 60 ha under vine. Both farm and cellar are certified organic by Control Union, a global network of inspection operations and certification programmes. Org de Rac, the most northerly producer in the large and diverse Swartland wine region, is owned by Nico Bacon, a pioneer of eco-friendly viticulture in this area. The cellar offers visitors three ranges, including a well-rated all-Chardonnay bubbly, four-star Cabernet and Shiraz, with Chardonnay being the single white. They recently added a husk spirit (better known as grappa) to their range. The farm uses no chemicals on the vines, plants cover crops between the rows for additional nutrition, and employs ducks for snail patrol. Grapes are hand-harvested and sorted, and wine production – from crushing to labelling – is done on site. Visitors are welcome to walk around the farm and view the springbok and bontebok herds. Generous cheese platters and picnics are available (book 48 hours in advance). They also make organically certified olive oil, lavender and rosemary products, and stock chocolate sourced from ‘Africa’s Read more [...]

  • St John’s Street Synagogue

    This Classical Revival building, the first custom-built shul ever established in sub-Saharan Africa, opened on Rosh Hashanah, 15 September 1863, located on the east side of Van Riebeeck’s former vegetable garden.

  • The South African Jewish Museum

    The South African Jewish Museum is a visual interactive and high tech museum representing the story of the Jews of South Africa, their origins and contributions. Gift shop and Café Riteve.

  • Great Synagogue

    Oldest Jewish congregation in South Africa, established in 1841. The new Baroque style edifice (Architect: John Parker) was opened by congregation President, Hyman Liberman, Mayor of Cape Town, on 17 September 1905. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir Walter Hely-Hutchinson. Stained glass windows of Cape flowers and grapes installed 1936 and new stained glass windows in 2013. Pulpit transferred from St John’s Street Synagogue 1 .

  • Jacob Gitlin Library

    Established 1959. Extensive collection of books, magazines, journals, CDs and DVDs of Jewish interest. Jacob Gitlin was a dedicated Zionist worker and secretary to the Dorshei Zion Society for 27 years.

  • Cape Town Holocaust Centre

    The first Holocaust Centre in Africa opened in 1999. The Centre houses a permanent exhibition and conducts educational programmes for schools, educators and diverse adult groups.

  • Cafe Riteve

    Popular kosher ‘milchik’ restaurant and take-aways, with well stocked gift shop.

  • Water Fountain

    The water fountain is designed as a tribute to Patrons and Friends of the UJC Cape Town, who have deep roots in the Mother City but now live elsewhere.

  • Iziko South African National Gallery

    Important collection of South African and international art. The Hyman Liberman Memorial Doors, carved by Herbert Vladimir Meyerowitz, honour Mayor Liberman, who championed the establishment of the gallery and was a generous philanthropist. The doors represent ‘Hebrew Migration from Many Lands’, ‘Arrival in the Land of Peace and Prosperity’ and ‘Rebecca at the Well’. The bas-relief sculpture over the main entrance to the Gallery was carved by his wife Eva Meyerowitz, the famed scholar of West African art. The bas relief panels above the doors to each room were also carved by Meyerowitz. The Alfred de Pass collection of English and French paintings, drawings, sculpture and prints donated between 1926 and 1949, and a room named after him, commemorate this benefactor. Iziko SANG also houses the collection of Italian drawings donated by Lady Michaelis in 1930.

  • Pond in front of Iziko SANG

    The pond in front of Iziko SA National Gallery – the young child holding the spouting water, carved by Herbert Vladimir Meyerowitz was modelled on his son.

  • Belvedere House

    Adjoining the Lodge De Goede Hoop (first Masonic Lodge in South Africa) are two houses and a store, purchased in 1849 for £800, for use as a synagogue and a minister’s house. The Simon van de Stel Foundation plaque reads: “On this site stood a house which was used as the first synagogue in South Africa consecrated by the Reverend Isaac Pulver, the first minister, until a synagogue was built facing Government Avenue consecrated on 13 September 1863”.

  • Houses of Parliament

    The Houses of Parliament contain the Mendelssohn Collection assembled by Sydney Mendelssohn, a diamond dealer, the first great collector of Africana and a compiler of the classic South African Bibliography published in 1910.  Jewish members of Parliament continue to play a role in South African politics.

  • Jan Christian Smuts Statue

    Jan Smuts was a signatory to the Balfour Declaration, a friend of ChaimWeizmann, first President of the State of Israel, and personally fund-raised for Zionist organisations and lobbied against the 1939 White Paper. Several streets in Israel and Kibbutz Ramat Yochanan were named after him. His government gave de facto recognition to Israel on 24 May 1948. See also statue by Ivan Mitford Barberton in front of Iziko Slave Lodge.

  • Iziko Slave Lodge

    Between 1679 and 1811, this windowless building was filled to the brim with slaves – many of them women. The ‘lodge’ was also used as a prison, mental asylum and unofficial brothel. It is said that in those days ‘women in the Cape were few, but slaves were plenty.’ It is now an Iziko Museum and amongst the displays is an exhibition on the story of tshwetshwe – a fabric that is synonymous with traditional black women’s fashion.

  • Cape Argus – Newspaper House

    The Cape Argus, established on 3 January 1857, was owned from 1863 to 1885 by Saul Solomon, a printer.  Described as the “Cape Disraeli,” childhood rheumatic fever had left Solomon 4 feet tall with crippled legs. He was a brilliant scholar who became a prominent member of the Cape Parliament which he addressed standing on a box. It was said of him that he was “the smallest man amongst us in stature, but in mind, he is taller than any of us by a whole head”.