As part of a special Taipei-Cape Collaboration, made possible by the Spotlight Taiwan Project, visiting Taiwanese jazz musicians Chi-pin Hsieh (jazz violin) and Kai-ya Chang (piano) will join forces with Cape Town jazz musicians Amanda Tiffin, Shaun Johannes and Kevin Gibson to present a series of special performances in Cape Town from 15 to 22 October 2017.
The music of Chi-pin Hsieh and Kai-ya Chang is a unique blend of jazz, classical and traditional Taiwanese elements.
Promising a sensational, experience, audiences can expect to hear the velvet voice of Cape Town jazz vocalist Amanda Tiffin, blended with the soulful violin of Chi-pin Hsieh, backed by the dynamic rhythms of Gibson, Johannes, and Chang, woven together with the very special sounds of Africa from award winning maestro, Dizu Plaatjies.
The Spotlight Taiwan initiative is facilitated by the Taipei Liaison Office, Cape Town, through the Ministry of Culture, Taiwan. The project seeks to promote international cultural exchanges and cultivate a greater interest in and appreciation of Taiwan’s culture worldwide.
Taipei-Cape Collaboration Programme
Concerts start on Sunday 15 October at 6.30pm, when the ensemble will come together to create a blended sound, an intermingling of different cultures in music, before Dizu Plaatjies flies to perform in Taiwan. This concert takes place in the Chisholm Recital Room, South African College of Music at the University of Cape Town (UCT).
- Sunday 15 October, 12pm – 2pm Open Rehearsal with Chi-pin Hsieh (jazz violin), Kai-ya Chang (piano) and Cape Town Jazz musicians Amanda Tiffin, Shaun Johannes and Kevin Gibson Venue : SA College of Music at UCT Free admission. As seating is limited please make a reservation via Quicket
- Sunday 15 October, 6.30pm – 8pmConcert : Special Performance with Dizu PlaatjiesVenue : Chisholm Recital RoomSA College of Music at UCTTickets R120 : Book
- Wednesday 18 October, 6.30pm – 7.30pm Free public lecture with Chi-pin Hsieh & Kai-ya Chang -“Creating new with old: Incorporating Taiwanese traditional music influences in the Contemporary Jazz Compositions of Hsieh and Chang”Venue : Room S4, South African College of Music at UCT Free admission, but limited seating: first come, first served.
- Saturday 21 October, 7pm – 9pm Concert: Taipei-Cape Jazz Connection Venue : Kronendal Music Academy 153 Empire Avenue, Hout Bay, Cape Town.Tickets R130, limited seating Book Info: firstname.lastname@example.org Call 021 790 4457
- Sunday 22 October 6pm – 8pm Concert: Taipei-Cape Jazz Connection Venue : Olympia Bakery, cnr Clairveaux & Main Rds, Kalk Bay. Tickets R150 Book Info: email@example.com Call Paul Kahanovitz 082 892 035