The Cape Point Art Route, curated by Dave Knott-Craig, takes you along a scenic stretch of the Cape Peninsula, to some interesting art stops that are featured on the 2019 Arts + Crafts Map. You also stop off at two of Cape Town’s most popular tourist destinations!
Dave takes you from the new Norval Foundation in Steenberg, through historic Muizenberg and quirky Kalk Bay to Boulders Beach and Cape Point. Then up the Atlantic side of the Southern Peninsula, over Chapmans Peak to Hout Bay.
Dave Knott-Craig is a resident of Simonstown and the compiler of the Arts + Crafts Map. He shares his passion for this scenic locale and in-depth knowledge of the art scene with you.
The Cape Point Art Route
These are the stops along the way. For more information about each stop and for addresses and contact details, please visit the Cape Point Art Route here.
- Norval Foundation in Steenberg is a must-visit. Newly opened, this is a centre for art and cultural expression dedicated to the research and exhibition of 20th and 21st-century visual art.
- Gallery South in Muizenberg is a unique boutique museum and gallery representing politically and spiritually rich work by South African art masters.
- Kalk Bay Modern is an eclectic space that serves as a creative platform for contemporary artists, photographers, ceramists, designers and other unusual surprises.
- The Studio Art Gallery is a curated contemporary exhibition space showcasing a variety of emerging and established South African artists.
- Boulders Beach (TMNP) – nestled in a sheltered cove between Simon’s Town and Cape Point, Boulders has become world famous for its thriving colony of African penguins.
- Cape of Good Hope – Cape Point is Africa’s most south-westerly point, in the Cape of Good Hope Nature Reserve.
- Ye Olde Artifact Cove & Shipwreck Shoppe is one of the world’s most interesting curiosity shops, specialising in maritime memorabilia, nautical antiques, militaria, scrimshaw and much else besides.
- Hout Bay Trading Store in an interesting 19th century cottage is charming and well worth a visit, whether you are searching for an unusual gift…
- Original T-Bag Design for one of a kind handmade products using recycled tea bags as works of art!
Any suggestions of places you would include on the Cape Point Art Route? Where would you like to stop for a coffee or lunch – your suggestions are very welcome.
Most important – safe driving and ENJOY!
See also the Cape Town Green Map