La Motte Wine Estate has been appointed as the 2019 Drinks International Wine Tourism Awards Winner for Best Food and Wine Matching Experience for an unprecedented fifth time!
The historic estate in the Franschhoek Wine Valley, acclaimed as South Africa’s culinary hotspot, has also received this exceptional recognition in 2013, 2015, 2016 and 2018.
“Our wine and food experiences are developed with our guests in mind”, says La Motte CEO, Hein Koegelenberg. “While quality is at the essence of what we do, we are passionate about sharing our love for food and wine with our guests in a way that intrigues and entertains. We are delighted for the judging panel’s consistent confidence in our offering and we are truly honoured for such international acknowledgement.”
The La Motte Tasting Room and the estate’s Pierneef à La Motte restaurant offer a comprehensive Food and Wine Experience, introducing guests to food and wine in a host of innovative ways. From dedicated food and wine pairings to authentic South African heritage cuisine, the novel La Motte food and wine experience extends to the estate’s comprehensive tourism offering and is included in themed pairings and dinners, Classical Music concerts, educational walks such as the Historic or Sculpture walk, a guided mountainside hike, art experiences and the charming Farm Shop. Food and wine are also celebrated through seasonal events such as an interactive Harvest Experience during the pressing season and the popular Evening of Vintage Wine & Venison in winter, to name but a few.
The Drinks International Wine Tourism Awards aim at recognising estates that successfully implement wine tourism to support their focus of wine making.
La Motte’s complete Food and Wine Matching Experience
In the Wine Tasting Room
• Visitors can choose between a Wine Tasting of the La Motte Collection (5 wines), Pierneef Collection (2 wines), all La Motte wines (7 wines), a comparative Syrah tasting or Vintage tasting.
• On Friday mornings, a Wine & Food Tasting experience developed by the estate chef and cellarmaster, is presented by a well-informed wine-ambassador to guide visitors through a selection of sample-sized haute cuisine portions paired with La Motte wines introducing guests to the best combinations.
• During harvest time, a Harvest Experience introduces guests to the harvest process and is concluded with a tasting of fermenting grape juice, wine and harvest-inspired bites such as Mosbolletjies (the traditional South African sweet bun made from the yeast of partially fermented grape juice), Must syrup ( a reduction of sweet grape must), a traditional chopped salad wrapped in a vine leaf, Something Savoury – a duck and grape sausage and Something Sweet – a Grape Frangipane tartlet.
In Pierneef à La Motte Restaurant
• Pierneef à La Motte Restaurant serves authentic and seasonal cuisine to charm visitors with a truly South African experience and to introduce restaurant patrons to South African wines.
• Guests are invited to enjoy fine dining at immaculately set tables inside the restaurant when the sophisticated à la carte lunch menu is served (Tuesday – Sunday).
• A more relaxed alfresco Garden Menu is available during summer time and served on the stoep area or under the age-old oak trees.
• Special children’s menu is available.
• Guests can enjoy pastries and confectionery from the tea menu served in the lush surrounding garden.
• The Restaurant is open for private evening events and encourages guest to work with the chef in developing food and wine combinations for an intimate and exclusive food and wine pairing experience.
• Wines of the estate are available at cellar door pricing to restaurant guests, while older vintages from the vinoteque and rare finds are on the list too. Other South African wines in styles not offered by La Motte, also feature on the list, with a good selection of imported wines and Méthode Cap Classique sparkling wines from all the main producers in the Franschhoek Valley – revealing the focus of the area.
On the La Motte Wine Estate
• Wine and canapés are served at the monthly classical music concerts presented in the historic cellar on the estate.
• A cookbook based on thorough research of the origin of food in the Cape Winelands, called Cape Winelands Cuisine was published in 2011. The recipes arrived in the Cape with the Dutch, French and other European settlers and developed through the ages due to the availability of produce and ingredients as well as influences from other cultures. The Cape Winelands Cuisine cookbook reflects these traditional recipes amended for the modern-day kitchen and palate while sharing the interesting tales behind each recipe.
• Special food and wine events such as an evening of Vintage Wine & Venison, Syrah Experience and a Celebration of Sauvignon Blanc are presented by the Cellar Master, Chef and / or invited Experts.
• The Monday morning Guided Hike along the mountainside on La Motte is concluded with a picnic-style offering of La Motte Méthode Cap Classique with freshly baked apple and almond flavoured muffins.
• An Art Experience on Tuesday mornings concludes with a glass of wine from the estate’s Pierneef Collection, paired with a savoury tartlet from the farm kitchen.
• The Historic Walk on Wednesday mornings not only introduce guests to the history and Cape Dutch architecture of the estate, but they also visit the oldest working water mill in the area to see the production of stone-ground flour. The walk concludes in the La Motte Farm Shop with a tasting of the selection of artisan breads baked on the estate.
• The weekly Sculpture Walk on Thursdays concludes under the oak trees in the courtyard where guests are treated to La Motte Méthode Cap Classique and Madeleines from the pastry kitchen.
• A quaint Farm Shop offers a range of artisan breads baked in the farm kitchen and from flour grounded in a historic water mill on the estate, as well as delectable confectionery and a selection of cookbooks and recipe cards. Guests are also welcome to make a selection from the array of cakes and tarts to have with tea or coffee in the garden.
See also Cape Town Green Map