6 September, 1841 foundation stone laid. 28 April, 1851 neo-Gothic stucco Cathedral opened by Bishop Griffith (at cost of £11 000); Architect Read more [...]
Place Category: City Walk: Interfaith Route
Site of the first synagogue in South Africa.
6 April, 1849 two houses and a store, adjoining the Lodge De Goede Hoop, (first Masonic Lodge in South Africa) purchased for £800 for use as a synagogue and minister’s home. Formally consecrated on 15 September, 1849.
Objects of interest: beautiful Masonic gateway, Simon van de Stel Foundation plaque: “On this site stood a house which was used as the first synagogue in South Africa consecrated by the Reverend Isaac Pulver, the first minister, until a synagogue was built facing Government Avenue consecrated on 13 September, 1863”