Oldest church building in South Africa. 1774 Martin Melck bequeathed a “wine store and warehouse” for a Lutheran congregation. 1776 first Read more [...]
Place Category: City Walk: Interfaith Route
First public building to be lit by gas and the first church in Cape Town to open its membership to blacks. Designed in Grecian Doric style, and built at a cost of £4 000.
1827 foundation stone laid. Every soldier in the Scottish regiment gave one day’s pay towards it.
24 May, 1829 first service held.
1838 St Andrews Scottish Church Mission set up to work with the emancipated slaves.
1842 mission day school established.
Today often the venue for chamber music and other concerts.
Objects of interest: pews of straight back manufacture, gallery over main entrance.