• St John’s Street Synagogue

    This Classical Revival building, the first custom-built shul ever established in sub-Saharan Africa, opened on Rosh Hashanah, 15 September 1863, located on the east side of Van Riebeeck’s former vegetable garden.

  • Great Synagogue

    Oldest Jewish congregation in South Africa, established in 1841. The new Baroque style edifice (Architect: John Parker) was opened by congregation President, Hyman Liberman, Mayor of Cape Town, on 17 September 1905. The foundation stone was laid by Governor Sir Walter Hely-Hutchinson. Stained glass windows of Cape flowers and grapes installed 1936 and new stained glass windows in 2013. Pulpit transferred from St John’s Street Synagogue 1 .

  • Belvedere House

    Adjoining the Lodge De Goede Hoop (first Masonic Lodge in South Africa) are two houses and a store, purchased in 1849 for £800, for use as a synagogue and a minister’s house. The Simon van de Stel Foundation plaque reads: “On this site stood a house which was used as the first synagogue in South Africa consecrated by the Reverend Isaac Pulver, the first minister, until a synagogue was built facing Government Avenue consecrated on 13 September 1863”.

  • Hermanus Synagogue

    With an increase in retired people to this coastal town, the now active community has regular services. A new Synagogue was consecrated on 7 September 2008. Cemetery: near Fernkloof.

  • Or Israel Synagogue

    Congregation established 1893. Destroyed by fire 1926, rebuilt August 1927. Charles Back came from Lithuania in 1902, set up as a butcher in Paarl, bought Klein Babylonstoren in 1916 and became at one time the largest Jewish wine producer in the country. Today Paarl is combined with the Wellington Community Old Cemetery (1894-1938): East end of Hospital Street, next to Hoerskool van der Walt New Cemetery (from1925): cnr Jan van Riebeeck & Langenhoven Streets

  • Agudat Achim Synagogue

    Established 1899, Agudat Achim Synagogue built 1923. First wedding 1902 between Moses Zuckerman and Rebecca Glaser who taught German at the Rhenish Institute. Their son was knighted as Sir Solly Zuckerman. Hall and classrooms converted to restaurant and retail outlets. Cemetery: cnr Adam Tas & Distillery Roads (next to the Oude Libertas Amphitheatre)

  • Somerset West Synagogue

    Regular services: The Strand congregation has merged with Somerset West Old Synagogue: Wesley Street, Strand Cemetery: cnr Beach and Gordon’s Bay Road, Strand