Visit Iziko Museums of South Africa for an exciting, fun-filled and engaging holiday programme of events! Explorers of all ages are invited to see and experience the wonders of South Africa and Africa’s diverse natural, art and social heritage, as part of the in_herit FESTIVAL 2019!
- Explore the depths of the ocean and learn about the many ships that have sailed across her at the Iziko Maritime Centre this September School Holiday – and build your own model-boat! This workshop caters to ages 10 – 15 years, and is happening between 10h00 – 13h00 on Monday, 23 September.
- Get in touch with your inner artist at the Iziko South African National Gallery. Join the Art-Making workshop and explore halls of the gallery. Hunt for clues that will help you to create your own masterpiece! This workshop caters to ages 9 – 15 years, and is happening between 10h00 – 12h00 on Wednesday, 25 September.
- New exhibitions: Drawing from the Collection considers both the act, and idea of drawing – drawing its inspiration from the permanent collection of the gallery!
- STORIES, on show at the National Gallery Annexe celebrate the achievement of Visual Arts school learners, presenting their interpretation of a story, made visible in art.
- Take off on an astronomical space adventure with a fun-filled workshop exploring space, the universe and the planets! This workshop is suited to ages 5 – 12 years, and begins at 10h00 on Thursday, 26 September.
- Take a virtual ride in our immersive, digital, full-dome theatre. For an out-of this world experience, be sure to catch shows such as Cell Cell Cell, Starlight, and Accidental Astronauts at the Iziko Planetarium and Digital Dome.
- Have fun making Fabric Fish in the belly of the Whale Well. This workshop caters to ages 8 – 10 years, and takes place at the Iziko South African Museum between 10h00 – 12h00 on Friday, 27 September.
- Meet Sarchosuchus – the gigantic great-great-great-grandfather of all ‘crocs’ and roam through a prehistoric journey with our African Dinosaurs. See Origins of Early Sapien’s Behaviour – Mother Africa Welcome Home and learn about our shared heritage.
Book your space for the school holiday Programme: Contact Kashiefa Milward at Kmilward@iziko.org.za or on 021 481 3813. Please bring a packed lunch to the workshop.
Please note that during the September school holidays, entrance to selected museums is *Free as part of the In_Herit FESTIVAL 2019.
*The Iziko Planetarium and Digital Dome is half-price on Heritage Day; and the Castle of Good Hope and Groot Constantia are free only on Heritage Day.
Museums closed on Saturday and Sunday, as well as those closed for repairs, are excluded.
About Iziko Museums of South Africa (Iziko)
Iziko operates 11 national museums, the Planetarium and Digital Dome, the Social History Centre and three collection-specific libraries in Cape Town. The museums that make up Iziko have their own history and character, presenting extensive art, social and natural history collections that reflect our diverse African heritage. Iziko is a public entity and public benefit organisation that brings together these museums under a single governance and leadership structure. The organisation allows *free access to all individuals on commemorative days, (*excluding the Castle of Good Hope, Groot Constantia and Planetarium and Digital Dome). Visit our webpage at www.iziko.org.za, join our online community on Facebook (www.facebook.com/IzikoMuseums), Instagram (@izikomuseumssa) or follow us on Twitter (@Iziko_Museums) for regular updates on events, news and new exhibitions.
See also Cape Town Green Map