(UN)INFECTING THE CITY 2021 - 7 May - 30 June
(UN)INFECTING THE CITY 2021 starts on Friday 7 May and Cape Town’s streets, buildings, billboards and taxis are set to come alive with a free-to-the-public arts happening running until 30 June!
The longest running public arts festival in South Africa, Infecting the City, renamed (Un)Infecting the City for this year, offers a unique opportunity to bring art, music, dance and performance out of theatres and galleries and into the public spaces of Cape Town.
The 2021 Festival upholds this spirit, but has agilely updated its format to allow for social distancing.
In previous years, the Festival has reimagined transport and shopping hubs, squares, gardens and public walkways as transformative stages. It showcased an array of multi-disciplinary art forms, and created a platform for artworks that engage with historical and contemporary narratives relevant to the City and its people. As South Africa grapples with the Covid-19 pandemic, this year’s (Un)Infecting the City will have a particular thematic focus on the psychological and social impacts of Covid-19.
Reimagined as a crowd-free event and taking place across multiple outdoor venues, (Un)Infecting the City also incorporates digital and virtual elements that can be experienced by anyone with access to the Internet, and from anywhere. Comprising 8 different programmes staged over May and June, (Un)Infecting the City offers a wealth of culturally-rich opportunities that are entirely free to the public.
Read more about the Festival’s artists and artworks on the (Un)Infecting the City 2021 website and about PROGRAMME 1 below!
(UN)INFECTING THE CITY 2021 PROGRAMME 1- land, body, spirit
6.30 – 7.30pm Walk About (Films on a Loop)
1. SPIRIT MBA (Open House, Long Street) Durational Performance
2. GROUPING AND UNGROUPING FOREVER (Open House, Long Street)
3. MUD & FIRE PARABLES/BODY OF EVIDENCE: Amy Wilson and Gabriel Dirks (Shop Windows, 161 Long Street)
4. ALEXANDRA-NALEDI HOLTMAN (Shop Window, 148 Long Street)
5. MANUELA HOLZER (Shop Window, 148 Long Street)
6. MUD & FIRE PARABLES: Vathiswa Nodlayiya (Western Province Building, Corner Long and Wale Streets)
7. YASMINE CALASSE (Western Province Building, Corner Long and Wale Streets)
8. YAZEED KAMALDIEN (Western Province Building, Corner Long and Wale Streets)
9. SOUNDZ OF THE SOUTH (Slave Lodge, Corner Wale and Adderley Streets)
10. BUHLEBEZWE SIWANI (Groote Kerk, Bureau Road)
7.30 – 9pm Settle Down (Church Square, Corner Bureau Road and Parliament Street)
1. MUD & FIRE PARABLES/BODY OF EVIDENCE: Koleka Putuma
2. KWASUKASUKELA ART COLLECTIVE (Performance)
4. MATSHELANE XHAKHAZA (Film)
5. THANIA PETERSEN
6. LOREN LOUBSER (Film)
7. MARLIN ZOUTMAN (Performance)
8. DANIEL COLE
9. NORA CHIPAUMIRE
• Masks and social distancing are mandatory
• The programme is subject to change. Consult the website regularly, especially the day before an event